Savory Salmon Spread

Print Friendly Version of this pagePrint Get a PDF version of this webpagePDF
When choosing an appetizer or snack to have for small gatherings, I will often choose something that is served warm like spinach dip or meatballs.  Often I will need something a bit lighter before a full dinner though.  Sometimes I'll choose a seafood based appetizer when I need something lighter, like this crab salad.  But more often I want something even simpler.  One of my favorite snacks that is simple to pull together and is served chilled or at room temperature is Savory Salmon Spread.  It is perfect as an appetizer before a spring-time dinner, especially Easter or a Sunday brunch.


The flavor improves as the ingredients sit together, so I suggest making the spread the night before or at least two hours ahead of time.  Another tip~ use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment to blend the ingredients.  So easy.

I usually serve the spread with buttery crackers but it is just as scrumptious atop cucumber slices.  Low carb and gluten free!  I am partial to the canned tuna.  I know, lack of sophistication.  I think those who want to make this a bit more elegant can easily substitute about a cup of shredded smoked salmon.  I've even served this spread in mini fillo shells topped with some scallions for a bit more pizzazz.  This is a base recipe that can be adapted to your needs and tastes.  Enjoy!


Use mini cookie cutter to cut out cute spring~time shapes of cucumbers.


Pie shape cutters work too!

 Keep cut cucumber shapes in a glass jar filled with water in the refrigerator until serving.  Cucumber will be extra crispy!


Savory Salmon Spread
2 5 oz cans boneless and skinless salmon, drained with some liquid reserved
1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried dill
pinch of salt
pinch of dried thyme

Blend all ingredients together well.  If too thick, add a bit of reserved liquid to thin.  Chill at least 2 hours.  Set out about 30 minutes before serving to soften.  Serve with buttery crackers or cucumber slices.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching my breath. Be back ASAP.